Do you have a violin that your child no longer plays? Any paint or brushes not being used? If so, donate your unused musical instruments and your art supplies to the Arts Council.
The Murphy RePlay Instrument Drive was started in the 1990s by the late Bob Murphy, a Kiwanian and local musician who played regularly at the Carolina Hotel in Pinehurst. In 2018, the Arts Council and Kiwanis Club of the Sandhills joined forces to revive the program. The goal of RePlay is to collect new and used band and orchestra instruments, repair them as needed, and donate them to Moore County students who cannot afford a new instrument but wish to learn how to make music.
The RePaint Art Supply Drive was created in 2017 by Kate Curtin, Arts Council’s youth program director. The goal of RePaint is to collect art supplies and put them in Moore County Schools’ visual art classrooms. All types of supplies are welcome, including paints, paper, brushes, canvases, markers, pencils, sketch books, etc. The supplies are given to the art teachers to supplement their small budgets.
Here’s some information on either program:
- We accept instrument and art supplies in any condition.
- While we prefer instruments in playable condition, we can repair and/or refurbish most instruments to give them new life.
- We do not accept upright pianos or organs, but may be able to help you find them a new home.
- Your donation is tax-deductible and we can provide a receipt, however the IRS does not allow the Arts Council to estimate the value of donated items. Donors are responsible for estimating the value of the donation. If value is needed for tax purposes, please contact a qualified appraiser before making a donation.
- Some donations may not meet our quality standards or are inappropriate for education purposes. If possible, they will be sold with 100% of the proceeds used to repair instruments or purchase new instruments or art supplies.
Donations are accepted all year long. Here’s how you can make donations to either program:
- Drop off donations at the Arts Council’s offices (Campbell House, 482 E. Connecticut Avenue, Southern Pines) on weekdays (10a-5p).
- Schedule a pick up by calling the Arts Council at 910-692-2787 with your address and type and size of items you wish to donate.
- Give a financial donation to help defray the costs of instrument repairs or art supply purchases. Make checks payable to ACMC (with RePlay or RePaint in the memo line) and mail to the Arts Council at P.O. Box 405, Southern Pines, NC 28388, or drop off at Campbell House any weekday (10a-5p)
No matter what you give, you will be instrumental in the education of our children. For more information or questions on these programs, please contact the Arts Council at 910-692-2787.
Please thank our sponsors: