The scholarship is named for Harry Barnes and Vaud Ancil Travis, III, two long-time and strong supporters of the Arts Council of Moore County and the arts throughout Moore County. Two additional funds have been created in memory of local artist Carol Lawson Rouhier to award scholarships to visual arts applicants, and in memory of actor Sara Schrock to award scholarships to theatre applicants.
Since the inception of the Barnes-Travis Arts Scholarship, the Arts Council has awarded 91 scholarships in the amount of $26,725 to middle and high school students pursuing their interest in the arts.
Congratulations to the scholarship winners for 2015:
- Jessica Cannady of Pinehurst was awarded the Carol Lawson Rouhier Award to take private art lessons. She is an 8th grader at New Century Middle School.
- Rachael Mashburn of Carthage was awarded a scholarship to take private piano lessons. She is in the 10th grade at Union Pines High School.
- Isaiah Newby of Pinehurst was awarded a scholarship to attend the American Ballet Theater’s Summer Intensive. He is an 8th grader at Sandhills Theatre Arts Renaissance School.
- Emma Short of Carthage was awarded a scholarship to attend the UNC-Greensboro Summer Music Camp on violin. She is in the 11th grade at Union Pines High School.
- Teila Vochatzer of Vass was awarded the Sara Schrock Theatre Award to be a Props Apprentice at the Brevard Music Center this summer. She is in the 12th grade at Union Pines High School.
- Rebecca Willcox of Carthage was awarded a scholarship to take private piano lessons. She is in the 11th grade at Union Pines High School.
- Eli Wright of Southern Pines was awarded a scholarship to take private trumpet lessons. He is a 10th grader at Union Pines High School.
The Barnes-Travis Arts Scholarship Fund is a wonderful and convenient way to support the Arts Council of Moore County and the Moore County children interested in the arts. To learn more about the many gift-giving possibilities which will help support the growth of this fund, click here or call ACMC at 910-692-ARTS (2787).